TVA Energy Saving Tips
What They Recommend
- Use caulk and weather stripping around windows and doors to stop air leaks
- Seal gaps in floors and walls around pipes and electrical wiring
- Change air filters monthly
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents – they use 75% less energy and last 10x longer
- Install aerating, low-flow faucets and showerheads
- Fix any leaky faucets – one drop per second can add up to 165 gallons a month
- Tune-up your heating and cooling system annually to keep it running as efficiently as possible
- Have your ductwork inspected and repair any leaks
- Add insulation to your attic, crawl space and any accessible exterior walls
- Wrap your water heater with insulation or install an insulating blanket
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® label when replacing large or small appliances
- Use power strips for home electronics and turn off power strips when equipment is not in use
- Replace worn-out seals on your refrigerator and freezer
- Perform a do-it-yourself home energy audit. Online and paper versions are available.
- Reduce hot water use by taking shorter showers and using cold water for the rinse cycle in your washer
- Turn off lights, televisions and other appliances when not in use
- Clean refrigerator coils regularly to keep compressor running efficiently
- Set the refrigerator temperature at 36° to 39° F and freezer at 0° to 5° F
- Use the microwave when possible – it cooks faster and doesn’t create as much heat as a stove burner
- Air-dry dishes instead of using the dishwasher’s heat drying option
- Run your dishwasher and clothes washer only when full
- Match the size of your pot or pan to the size of the burner
- Make sure your dryer’s outside vent is clear and clean the lint filter after every load
- Keep all windows and doors located near your thermostat closed tightly
- Keep heat sources such as lamps and appliances away from your thermostat
- Replace your old refrigerator, especially if it's over 10 years old, with an ENERGY STAR refrigerator
- Install foam gaskets behind electric-outlet and switch-plate covers
- Dry one load of clothes immediately after another to minimize heat loss
- Defrost frozen food in the refrigerator before cooking
- Use the oven light to check on progress when cooking or baking
- Keep your outside air unit clean and clear of debris or weeds
- Use low-watt bulbs where lighting is not critical
- Place floor lamps and hanging lamps in corners. The reflection off the walls will give you more light
- Turn off outdoor lighting during the day. Try timer switches or photoelectric controls
- Keep your freezer full. The fuller the freezer, the less cold air you lose when opening the door
- Only use the self-cleaning cycle of your oven right after you finish baking.
- Hang on to appliance manuals and refer to them for care information and possible energy-saving tips
SAVE MONEY ON YOUR NEXT HEAT PUMP INSTALLATION OR ELECTRIC WATER HEATER INSTALLATION BY USING THE TVA ESCORE PROGRAM!
GET REBATES OFF YOUR UTILITY BILL BY MAKING EFFICIENCY IMPROVEMENTS TO YOUR HOME!
YOU CAN KEEP YOUR EMERGENCY FUND IN YOUR SAVINGS ACCOUNT AND FINANCE A HEAT PUMP INSTALLATION WITH LOW INTEREST PAYMENTS EVERY MONTH!
CALL TODAY FOR A FREE HEAT PUMP OR WATER HEATER INSTALLATION ESTIMATE AT 615-900-6873
Maintaining Your HVAC System
These tips will help you keep your heating and cooling system running efficiently:
- Change air filters monthly.
- Get a professional tune-up of your heating and cooling system annually to keep it running as efficiently as possible.
- Have your ductwork inspected and repair any leaks.
- Keep your outside condenser unit clean and clear of vegetation, debris or weeds. Mow grass away from the condenser in the summer and keep the fan grill free of leaves in the fall.
- Shade your condenser unit if possible. You will save energy if your unit is processing cooler air.
- Ductwork in low-energy homes is placed inside the conditioned space, which prevents heat transfer from or to the ducts. If your ductwork runs through non-conditioned space, be sure it is insulated.
- Operate your system with energy saving in mind. Raise the temperature settings in the summer and lower them in the winter.
Call us today at 900-6873, we're available 24/7